Wednesday, December 05, 2007

back from the valley

A lot of you already know this, but I've been "on a business trip" for the past week. After Thanksgiving (with my family in Ohio), Lara headed for Illinois to be with her family, while I took off for Santa Clara, CA, in the heart of the scenic Silicon Valley (if you consider a Yahoo building on every corner scenic).

Not much interesting to report from my week. We pretty much worked all the time, which was, of course, the point. The bosses "generously" told us to take Sunday off (hmm, isn't Sunday usually off?), so we toured the Stanford campus (nicer than any school I've ever attended, but then $46k a year should buy you something), and I went to a movie (it's probably been a year or two since I saw a movie in a theater. Since when do tickets cost $10.25? But if you're going to blow ten bucks for two hours in a dark room, seeing "No Country for Old Men" is definitely the way to do it. Fantastic movie. Highly recommended.)

Eating out kind of got old, but some places were more interesting than others. We had lunch at "Tofu House", a Korean soup place. We sat there being ignored for about 30 minutes until the guy that took us got his Korean friend to ask them to give us some menus already. Also fun: Falafel's Drive-thru, which is a dead ringer for a small town ice cream place, with the only seating being picnic tables out front, and a guy behind a little window taking your order. Driving through, despite the name, isn't an option. But the food was good.

Needless to say, I'm glad to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home