Wednesday, January 17, 2007

the recap

Yeah, yeah, it's been awhile, blah blah blah.

First of all, a shout out to my friends Jason and Michelle, who are proud new parents. The baby's name is Graden, he was born Tuesday night, and he's cute.

Is there anyone reading this who doesn't know about our Christmas trip? We drove home, spent a week in Ohio, spent a week in Illinois, and then drove back. Some highlights:

Anya really liked the presents this time around. Last time she was a little young, plus she got pretty sick, so she never really got into the presents thing. This time she got it. Not just that it's fun to rip the paper off, but that then you get new toys. That's my little materialist.

My sister is a lumberjack. No, seriously, she is. I mean, yeah, she looks small, but she can cut down trees. In college she was the crew boss for a forestry crew. Now, when she comes home, everyone wants her to come over and look at their dead trees, to see if she can cut them down or if they have to hire someone. So while we were there, we helped her take down, cut up, and split 3 trees, and I think she did one or two after we left. Timber!

Have you ever watched HGTV? You know that one show where they come in on a time deadline, and try to fix up a room in a house on the cheap? Oh wait, that could be any HGTV show. Anyhow, we had our own little Design on a Dime at my sister and brother in law's house. They bought this old old old house in Hyde Park in Chicago. Actually, it's part of a multi-unit building, but they own it, so it's a house. They actually applied to be on Design on a Dime, and got through a couple of levels of applications, but never heard anything. Anyhow, since we were driving out, I decided to pack some tools and help them do some quick improvements. We did some plastering, sanding, painting, put up some shelves, and put up some tile. And, like these things always go, it took much longer than we thought it would. But we finished, and it looked pretty cool, I think.

I set up my parents with a wireless network, and managed to break their email. Not only that, but one of their computers died right after I left. Lara's parents' internet broke right after we left, too. I leave destruction in my wake!

As it turns out, it's a long drive from Colorado to Ohio.

When we got back home, the house hadn't burned down, the pipes didn't freeze, the freezer didn't thaw, and nobody stole our TV.

All in all, a good trip. Too bad I had to go back to work. Anybody want to give me a million dollars so I can spend my time making beer, baking bread, finishing the basement, playing computer games, taking pictures, and riding my bike? I didn't think so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

here's where i should insert a pic of the fireplace wall that steve and lara helped TRANSFORM into greatness. i don't know how to do that actually...

so just believe me...it's amazing! We love the tile and bookshelves especially and feel so lucky to have our own contracters/design team/work horses as part of our FAMILY. it's sweet.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home