lunch
I'm being a bachelor for the next two weeks because Lara and Anya are in Illinois. With any luck, we'll both accomplish a lot: Lara's albuming the last 18 months of baby pictures (somewhere over 5000 at last count, but far fewer are actually good enough to print. Still, a lot of pictures). I'm trying to make progress on the basement, among other things.
When I'm on my own, I either eat really well, if I make the effort, or badly to not at all, if I don't. It's not unusual for me to just forget to eat, and then wonder why I feel like crap at 10pm. Today for lunch, though, I did okay. Here's what I did:
Fry up two eggs. Here's how I do it: I use a largish nonstick skillet (the cheaper and slicker the better). Heat the skillet for less than a minute, run a stick of butter around to just slick up the surface. Wait a little for the butter to heat up, then crack both eggs into the pan. If the yolk stays intact I'll break it by just tapping it with a spatula: I don't like my yolk super runny. Now walk away. Go do something else. Resist the temptation to mix it up, this isn't scrambled eggs. Actually, first salt the eggs and add a little pepper. Okay, now walk away.
Just about everytime I go to the store I pick up the $1.50 french bread, it's usually even warm. It only lasts a few days, but that's not usually a problem. Anyhow, toast three slices.
Get out the parmesan. I splurge and buy wedges of parmigiano reggiano, which is italian for, well, I don't know what it really means, but let's pretend it means real parmesan. Try it sometime, it's good. Anyhow, the most common thing to do it grate it real small, but for this I cut off thin little slices.
Take the bread out of the toaster and top it with the cheese slices.
Your eggs should be about done. If the bottom has those little brown marks, you're golden. Flip it. If not, wait until is does. The brown parts are what makes it taste good. (Incidentally, the reason for the butter is to get the brown parts.) After you flip, only cook for like 30 seconds. Just to firm up the runny parts a little so you don't disgust your wife. Now divide the eggs into three equal parts and perform a cool maneuver where you slide them all out onto the three waiting pieces of bread simultaneously. Fancy.
Now, since we're already kind of italian with the parmesan, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil onto each egg. (I said it was good, I didn't say it was low-fat. If you're concerned, just don't eat as much.)
Mmmmm. It would also probably be good with a slice of tomato or some lettuce, but you use what you have, right?
When I'm on my own, I either eat really well, if I make the effort, or badly to not at all, if I don't. It's not unusual for me to just forget to eat, and then wonder why I feel like crap at 10pm. Today for lunch, though, I did okay. Here's what I did:
Fry up two eggs. Here's how I do it: I use a largish nonstick skillet (the cheaper and slicker the better). Heat the skillet for less than a minute, run a stick of butter around to just slick up the surface. Wait a little for the butter to heat up, then crack both eggs into the pan. If the yolk stays intact I'll break it by just tapping it with a spatula: I don't like my yolk super runny. Now walk away. Go do something else. Resist the temptation to mix it up, this isn't scrambled eggs. Actually, first salt the eggs and add a little pepper. Okay, now walk away.
Just about everytime I go to the store I pick up the $1.50 french bread, it's usually even warm. It only lasts a few days, but that's not usually a problem. Anyhow, toast three slices.
Get out the parmesan. I splurge and buy wedges of parmigiano reggiano, which is italian for, well, I don't know what it really means, but let's pretend it means real parmesan. Try it sometime, it's good. Anyhow, the most common thing to do it grate it real small, but for this I cut off thin little slices.
Take the bread out of the toaster and top it with the cheese slices.
Your eggs should be about done. If the bottom has those little brown marks, you're golden. Flip it. If not, wait until is does. The brown parts are what makes it taste good. (Incidentally, the reason for the butter is to get the brown parts.) After you flip, only cook for like 30 seconds. Just to firm up the runny parts a little so you don't disgust your wife. Now divide the eggs into three equal parts and perform a cool maneuver where you slide them all out onto the three waiting pieces of bread simultaneously. Fancy.
Now, since we're already kind of italian with the parmesan, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil onto each egg. (I said it was good, I didn't say it was low-fat. If you're concerned, just don't eat as much.)
Mmmmm. It would also probably be good with a slice of tomato or some lettuce, but you use what you have, right?

4 Comments:
fun stuff. goofball extraordinaire.
p.s. please come make me eggs.
I felt like I was reading part of a script from "Good Eats"!
interesting life steve!
I can totally picture you doing this. It's a good picture. Thanks! We miss you here in the midwest. But your wife is getting LOTS done on her books...they are looking great!
Post a Comment
<< Home