Wednesday, August 23, 2006

bookshelf

My brother-in-law Jason and sister-in-law Hilary have the world's greatest bookshelf.

Okay, the bookshelf itself may not be anything special, but the books on it are fantastic, and every time I go over there I want to borrow, like, all of them. And I usually do borrow one or two, and they haven't let me down yet. (Side note, this has only happened two or three times, because I don't go over there very often, because, well, they live in Chicago. Maybe they should move to Colorado. Yeah, that's definitely what they should do.)

It's hard to find good books to read, and being able to peruse someone else's bookshelf for ideas is handy. I don't really buy very many books, though, so looking at my bookshelf won't do you much good. So consider this my virtual bookshelf. Good stuff I've read that you might want to check out. Since I'm too lazy to put it all together at once, and to give you an excuse to keep coming back, this will be in multiple parts. Probably many many multiple parts. So here we go...

(I'm not going to describe the books, because I'm lazy and I'll fail to do them justice anyhow. But I'll link to amazon so you can do your own investigation.)

These first two are ones I borrowed from Hilary and Jason.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay Michael Chabon
The Brothers K David James Duncan
Ghostwritten David Mitchell (currently one of my favorite authors)
Cat's Cradle Kurt Vonnegut (before I read Vonnegut, I thought it was literature, which is to say, hard. Wrong. Turns out he's super-funny)
The Golden Compass Philip Pullman (I just read this one. It's fantasy, and intended for young adults, but I think it's great. There are three books in the series, and I've cranked through two so far.)
Wickett's Remedy Myla Goldberg (The Decemberists have a song about Myla Goldberg. It's called Song for Myla Goldberg)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Good clean sci-fi humor)

Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home