Thursday, May 24, 2007

it happened again!



But really, who can argue with a $35 drill press. Who would want to?

At least this time I managed to fit it all in my car. And I resisted the siren song of another table saw, tempted though I was.

I must say though, going to these auctions makes me feel a little like I'm profiting from the misfortune of others. The first time, it was a woodworking company going out of business, presumably because it's just too cheap to make flat-pack particleboard furniture in China. I got a great deal on tools, but somebody lost their job. This time, a school was closing down their industrial arts program: probably to build a computer lab or something. I should be happy about that, right? I was talking with the guy in the picture (loading up a sweet grinder that should have been mine), he used to teach industrial arts. We were lamenting the fact that nobody knows how to do anything hands-on anymore.

Kind of funny that I can mourn the increasing computerization of our society and then go back to my day job, designing processors. No, not hypocritical or ironic at all, no siree.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least this time you didn't get another table saw!

8:18 PM  
Blogger JG said...

Is that a band saw in the picture and is it yours?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yep, that's a band saw. And yes, it's mine. I went for the band saw and the drill press, and I got what I went for (plus a few other small things). I bid on a belt/disk sander and a grinder, but they went too high for me.

9:10 PM  
Blogger kendra said...

Those could just as easily be my classroom equipment some day. My department gave up its darkroom this year so we could move into digital photography...sad. Our beneficiaries were the Art Department teachers.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home