Tuesday, May 06, 2008

redbox

Anyone done the redbox dvd rentals at McDonalds? You get them out of a vending machine, and they cost a dollar a night? We do, every so often, but it tends not to be the greatest deal for us, because we inevitably keep them for a few days, either because we don't get around to watching them, or don't get around to returning them. So we signed up for netflix instead. Which is awesome, btw. But this isn't about netflix (which is awesome).

So, anyhow, redbox sends me emails periodically. I haven't unsubscribed, for whatever reason. And the other day they sent an email telling me that if I gave them my phone number, they would text me a code for a free movie every Monday. Sure, I thought, why not. Nobody texts me anyhow.

So, I got my code, and stopped by McDonalds after work to get my free movie. I figured, okay, either we watch it tonight or not, I'll return it the next day, it's free, all I'm out is a few minutes if we don't watch it. I picked Juno, brought it home, and lo and behold, we watched it. It was good. Trying maybe a little too hard, but good. Fun. We should watch more movies.

So, then, I tried to return it this morning. Yes, tried. I rode my bike, and I'm out of shape, so I was practically hacking up a lung walking into the McD's (I'm unable to ride slow, even if it's killing me. It's a problem I have.) So, I pushed the little button for "Return a Movie" and this is what it told me...

Sorry, you can't return a movie here, this redbox is full. Please try another location or come back later.

Full. This redbox is Full.

Seriously? Since when can you rent a movie and not return it? What if I had made a special trip? What if it was 8:30pm, and I had to return it the next day and pay another dollar? What kind of system is this?

As a side note, redbox says it's okay for me to share my code with my friends. Anyone want a free movie every Monday? Renting is easy, it's the return that will get you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what did you do? How did you end up returning it? Hmm, sounds intriguing, but I have a feeling I wouldn't return the movie on time-one major reason I love Netflix too.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I went back tonight. There was someone there picking out a movie, but she told me I could jump in front of her to return mine, so I did. And it was full, again. So, I told her to go ahead and rent a movie (to free up a slot), then I returned mine, and it worked. Dumb.

5:23 PM  
Blogger hobo13 said...

I think I have to pay 20 cents to receive a text message with Sprint. Or is that only to send one? I never know -- the whole texting thing seems weird to me.... I mean, I can talk way faster than I can type, so why wouldn't I just call you?

Anyway, if I have to pay 20 cents to get a free $1 movie, that's not so hot....

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home