cleaning up
As I may have mentioned earlier, the new car had some issues when I bought it. (that's how you get the good deals.) Among the easier to resolve issues was that it was dirty. Inside and out. Kind of gross, really. So the day after I brought it home, I set out to clean it up a little. Knowing my daughter, I asked if she wanted to help. And she did.
It turned into a family project. Both of the kids loved crawling around in the car, and there was a certain novelty to scrubbing the seats, door panels, etc. I wouldn't call it clean inside now, but it's better. Some pictures...

See? A backseat! And three people fit in it! Especially if two of them are small.


Scrubbing.

Lucky girl.


My tolerant, long suffering wife.
Like I said, we did the cleaning the first thing after the car came home, after which I had it up on stands for the next month fixing things. Once I was able to drive it again, the fun continued. I was curious how well the carseats would fit in the back. I have no plans of gallavanting around with kids in the back most of the time, that's what the van is for, but sometimes it's necessary, and I'll probably be driving Anya to preschool in the fall.
The verdict, in case you're curious, is that they don't fit all that well, because of the way the seatbelts go, but it can be done, reasonably securely.

Yay! I've got a recaro seat! Okay, yeah, it's for Anya. Maybe some day I'll get one for me too...
Ever read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"? Well, if you try putting carseats in your car, your kids are going to want to sit in them. And if they sit in them, they're going to want to go for a drive. And if you go for a drive, they're going to want to go get some lunch. (especially if you don't have much food in the house.) Which was how we ended up driving to Noodles & Co. on a whim. Pretty yummy whim.
The only thing left was to wash the outside of the car. I couldn't do that at first because our driveway is pretty sloped, and without a parking brake it would have been a challenge to get the car to stay put. But, with the new brake installed, nice weather on a Saturday, and lots of leftover detailing supplies from selling the Passat, I finally got it all spiffied up. Of course, any time you hand wash a car, it gives you lots of chances to notice all of the scratches, dings, and other problems that you didn't pay attention to before, but whatever. It's not a fashion show.

Certainly not the worst looking car in the world, though. At least from far away, and with the doors closed. :)
It turned into a family project. Both of the kids loved crawling around in the car, and there was a certain novelty to scrubbing the seats, door panels, etc. I wouldn't call it clean inside now, but it's better. Some pictures...
See? A backseat! And three people fit in it! Especially if two of them are small.
Scrubbing.
Lucky girl.
My tolerant, long suffering wife.
Like I said, we did the cleaning the first thing after the car came home, after which I had it up on stands for the next month fixing things. Once I was able to drive it again, the fun continued. I was curious how well the carseats would fit in the back. I have no plans of gallavanting around with kids in the back most of the time, that's what the van is for, but sometimes it's necessary, and I'll probably be driving Anya to preschool in the fall.
The verdict, in case you're curious, is that they don't fit all that well, because of the way the seatbelts go, but it can be done, reasonably securely.
Yay! I've got a recaro seat! Okay, yeah, it's for Anya. Maybe some day I'll get one for me too...
Ever read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"? Well, if you try putting carseats in your car, your kids are going to want to sit in them. And if they sit in them, they're going to want to go for a drive. And if you go for a drive, they're going to want to go get some lunch. (especially if you don't have much food in the house.) Which was how we ended up driving to Noodles & Co. on a whim. Pretty yummy whim.
The only thing left was to wash the outside of the car. I couldn't do that at first because our driveway is pretty sloped, and without a parking brake it would have been a challenge to get the car to stay put. But, with the new brake installed, nice weather on a Saturday, and lots of leftover detailing supplies from selling the Passat, I finally got it all spiffied up. Of course, any time you hand wash a car, it gives you lots of chances to notice all of the scratches, dings, and other problems that you didn't pay attention to before, but whatever. It's not a fashion show.
Certainly not the worst looking car in the world, though. At least from far away, and with the doors closed. :)

2 Comments:
Love this post! I do enjoy reading about your car adventures, but it's even better when it's mixed in with cute pictures of my niece, nephew and wonderful sister. :)
Steve, I am mad at you. Ever since your first post about this car, there's been a nagging itch that I can't quite scratch. It's that spot in the middle of the back, and mine says BMW 3 series. Great post. I'm going to have to live vicariously through you for a while.
Post a Comment
<< Home