poet
Bet you thought this post was going to be me writing a lovely poem (or pome, as Lara would say) and sharing it with you. Well, tough luck. I write terrible poetry. Or at least I did in tenth grade, which is the last time I tried, and I only did it then because the teacher made me. But enough about me...
There are those who right poetry that's not terrible. Some poets are actually pretty good. A particular favorite of mine is Billy Collins, who a few years ago was "Poet Laureate of the United States". I assume he got to make all kinds of important poetry related state decisions, act as an adviser to the president on poetry related matters, and whatnot.
Despite the fact that I'm a fan, I was having trouble coming up with his name today. The AV Club (more on them some other time) had a review of a book by Michael Connelly, and that reminded me of Billy Collins, because their names are sort of the same, but I just couldn't come up with his name. But google and wikipedia are good for that type of thing, which led me to a site where you could read some poetry for free.
When I was in college, a surprisingly long time ago, I read a poem about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. This is one of those questions pondered by, I don't know, philosophers? theologians? Anyhow, there was this poem, and it struck me. I think I may have even printed it out at some point and put it up.
For whatever reason, when I went to the Billy Collins section of this free poetry site, I was reminded of this poem, and I wondered if I'd be able to find it somewhere, because I kind of wanted to read it again. And I noticed a poem, by Billy Collins, entitled "Questions About Angels" Well that's funny, just as I was thinking about that other poem about angels, here he has one, too. Wonder what it's about?
You're all way ahead of me here, aren't you? You know how this is going to end.
And yes, of course, it was the same poem. Which just really made me happy for some reason. The poem I really liked, before I even had heard of the name Billy Collins, turns out to be by Billy Collins.
Read it here.
There are those who right poetry that's not terrible. Some poets are actually pretty good. A particular favorite of mine is Billy Collins, who a few years ago was "Poet Laureate of the United States". I assume he got to make all kinds of important poetry related state decisions, act as an adviser to the president on poetry related matters, and whatnot.
Despite the fact that I'm a fan, I was having trouble coming up with his name today. The AV Club (more on them some other time) had a review of a book by Michael Connelly, and that reminded me of Billy Collins, because their names are sort of the same, but I just couldn't come up with his name. But google and wikipedia are good for that type of thing, which led me to a site where you could read some poetry for free.
When I was in college, a surprisingly long time ago, I read a poem about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. This is one of those questions pondered by, I don't know, philosophers? theologians? Anyhow, there was this poem, and it struck me. I think I may have even printed it out at some point and put it up.
For whatever reason, when I went to the Billy Collins section of this free poetry site, I was reminded of this poem, and I wondered if I'd be able to find it somewhere, because I kind of wanted to read it again. And I noticed a poem, by Billy Collins, entitled "Questions About Angels" Well that's funny, just as I was thinking about that other poem about angels, here he has one, too. Wonder what it's about?
You're all way ahead of me here, aren't you? You know how this is going to end.
And yes, of course, it was the same poem. Which just really made me happy for some reason. The poem I really liked, before I even had heard of the name Billy Collins, turns out to be by Billy Collins.
Read it here.

3 Comments:
I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!
jason loves billy collins! he has a few books of his i know and we'd often read them to dylan in utero. you know, something you do with your first child because you think you're making them smarter or something... :)
Billy Collins is my favorite living poet. Hands down.
Post a Comment
<< Home